Posted 29 June 2016
Chelmsford’s heritage goes back to Neolithic times. It wasn not til the arrival of the Romans in 60 AD that a little town began to get bigger. Chelmsford was then named Caesaromagus, giving it the great honour of having the name of Caesar which was the only place in the UK to do so. After the Romans had gone, Saxon farmers stayed in the countryside around the town, which was then referred to as Colman’s Ford.
It wasn’t until the time of King John that the modern town as we know it began to grow. The Bishop of London was allowed the right to hold a weekly market on Fridays at ‘Chelmsford in Essex’ by King John. The market has continued to run for more than 800 years since, and Chelmsford quickly became as the Essex County Town.
Around the 19th century, Chelmsford’s modern importance was granted as it became known as a centre of industry, with the best-known example being the birthplace of broadcasting. Marconi, the pioneer of radio, built the world’s first radio factory in Chelmsford in 1899, with a new factory opening around 1912 in New Street. In June 1920, the first entertainment radio broadcast was broadcasted from Chelmsford, featuring a famous singer
Chelmsford’s long and wealthy history can be explored further at Chelmsford Museum in Oaklands Park, Moulsham Street. Why not also pick up a Museum Friend’s Chelmsford and Moulsham old walking guide from the museum so you can see more of the town’s great history on two legs. The blue plaque scheme To celebrate and help identify famous people and situations that have made Chelmsford’s history, a series of blue signs are shown around the town. These include the site of the Black Boy Inn at the corner of the High Street and Springfield Road, acknowledged as a the place to meet for such people as Charles Dickens and the Duke of Wellington. Marconi’s factory in New Street.