Essex Police Museum
Posted 08 June 2016
Essex Police Museum Sandford Road, Springfield, Chelmsford, CM2 6DN Tel: 01245 457150
Email: email@example.com Web: www.essex.police.uk/museum
The museum, which is located at Police Headquarters in Springfield, Chelmsford, holds a collection showing the history of the force from 1835, including personnel, disciplinary and other records, together with more universal documents and a large photographic record. Open Wednesdays 1-4.30pm, and the first Saturday of each month 10.30am- 4.30pm. No appointment necessary. For group visits, daytime or evening, please contact the museum c/o Essex Police Headquarters, PO Box No 2, Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 6DA or telephone 01245 457150. Online booking form for visits available on website. Essex Record Office Wharf Road, Chelmsford, CM2 6YT Tel: 01245 244644 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.essexcc.gov.uk/ero
The Essex Record Office collects and preserves the written, oral and visual heritage of the county, ensuring that it remains available to both present and future generations. Visitors can use the collections to research family history, house history, community history and local geography. Reader’s ticket required. Electronic catalogue Seax can be searched on website. Refreshments available.
Hylands House and Estate Hylands Park, Old London Road, Chelmsford, CM2 8WQ Tel: 01245 605500
Email: email@example.com Web: www.chelmsford.gov.uk/hylands
Hylands House has long been regarded as one of the “architectural ornaments of Essex” and more recently as the “Jewel in Chelmsford’s Crown”. The house was originally built in 1730. In 1797 Humphry Repton, one of the most famous landscape gardeners and architects of the day, was commissioned to remodel the landscape and to advise on the design of the House. At this stage the East Wing was added. The appearance of the house was substantially altered again in 1839, when another storey and a porte-cochere was added to allow coaches to draw up at the front door. The house suffered severe damage following the death of the last private owner, Christine Hanbury in 1962. Chelmsford Borough Council bought the house in 1966 and undertook a phased approach to the restoration of the house and estate, bringing it back to its former glory. The final phase of restoration was completed with the opening of the newly restored Stables Centre in April 2007. The block has been converted into a new visitor centre, and includes a large gift shop, a café, artist studios, information and interpretation rooms, stabling for heavy horses and a multi purpose room for education use and hire. Group visits and guided tours available.